Rationale For the Heritage Landing Alternative Program:
The Heritage Landing Alternative Program is a special education setting that was created by the Francis Howell School District to provide a supportive educational environment for student with social, emotional, and behavioral challenges. Students who attend Heritage range from grades 6-12, and placement is determined through the IEP process.
Goals for the Program:
- To provide a positive, supportive environment in which students are participants in the collaborative problem solving process.
- To collaborate with students to identify lagging skills and develop strategies to deal with their emotional needs appropriately.
Heritage Landing Alternative Program Components:
- School wide collaborative problem solving system
- All students follow the Francis Howell Academic Curriculum and are required to take district and state assessments
- Hourly data collection regarding students’ lagging skills and academic progress
- Specific pro-active behavior supports that teachers implement within each classroom